Photo / Supplied.
Hilary Barry is the inaugural guest of The Hits’ brand new podcast, The Humble Yum Yum with Ganesh Raj. The Humble Yum Yum explores food, family and fame. Each week, Ganesh will ask his famous guests what their death row meal is, then turn it into a recipe that will feed 4 people for under $ 20. In this episode, Hilary explains how food is her language of love, admits that she’s a control freak in the kitchen, and Ganesh turns her love of seafood into a recipe for Thai fishcakes.
Listen to Episode 1: Hilary Barry Hates Brussels Sprouts.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
|500g||Basa Fish (Basa Fish Fillets Countdown)|
|4 tbsp||Red curry paste (Asian exotic food red curry paste)|
|¼ cup||Corn flour|
|8||Countdown Green beans, cut into ½ cm pieces (Countdown’s own green beans)|
|1 ½ tbsp||Fish sauce or soy sauce|
|1 ½ tbsp||Lime or lemon juice|
|½ cup||Chopped coriander stems (keep the leaves)|
|2 cups||Cucumber, grated (leave it in the bowl so that the juice comes out)|
|4 tbsp||Sweet Trident Hot Pepper Sauce|
|Cooked rice for 4 people|
- Make sure the fish is well thawed. It is best to leave it overnight in the refrigerator. It must be flexible enough to operate.
- In a bowl, combine the fish, curry paste, fish or soy sauce, cilantro stems, lemon or lime juice and egg. If you have a food processor, use it to mix everything up. Otherwise, go in with a fork or potato masher and get as thin a dough as you can get.
- Add cornmeal and chopped green beans to mix and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. 4 to 5 tablespoons should be enough depending on the pan you are using.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and drop it on the oil. Shape the fish patties into 1.5-inch discs about 1 cm high.
- Fry the fish cakes in oil until golden brown on each side. When finished, place them on paper towels to cool. Repeat until all the fish is cooked.
- Drain the water from the grated cucumber.
- Mix with the Sweet Chili sauce and the chopped coriander leaves. Put aside.
- Prepare your rice, fill yourself with fish cakes, drizzle with sauce and you’re ready to crack it!